Day 3


July 13, 2005 08:58 AM, Tent Jouksak (O1565410, 7389479) 10ºCÛ

I have packed all my equipment and I am ready to move on. It is raining, windy and cold. Pretty bad weather.

I had no problem falling asleep last night and I had a good night’s sleep in my down bag. I woke up just before 6 AM from the rain hammering the tent. I went back to sleep hoping that it would stop. I did not, and finally I gave up, raised, and packed my equipment.

Right now it is just a light drizzle, but it is ice cold outside.

July 13, 2005, 12:05 PM, Gåbdåk (O1563981, N7382443) 12ºC Ù

Short lunch break with freeze dried Nasi Goreng. It is a lot of mosquitos here at the shore of the lake.

The sun has been getting out from behind the clouds a couple of times this morning, but it is still very windy.

It has been downhill so far today. The trail has been well marked, but it has been a pretty boring segment through the birch forest.

July 13, 2005, 2:07 PM, Vuojnatjviken (O1564018, N7377671) Þ

The trail was tricky and full of rocks downhill through the boring birch forest. Suddenly, without advance warning you arrived right into the middle of the buildings at Vuonatjviken.

Someone had asked to be picked up at the other side at 3 PM, so I have to wait here for half an hour before the boat will depart. When I ordered the transport across Riebnes they also called Jäkkvik and helped me order the next boat transport from Saudal. I was a little bit unsure how long it would take to cross Riebnesgájsse, so I ordered a pick up from Saudal at 6 PM.

Right now it is probably winds up to 15-20 m/s, and the waves go high in Riebnes.

July 13, 2005 8:10 PM, Jäkkvik Cabin (O1549848, N7363605)  12ºC Ù

I am resting here in the cabin and having dinner - freeze dried Tandori stew and a Coca-Cola. Taking the opportunity to wash a pair of socks as well.

It became a bumpy ride across Riebnes in the strong wind. I met a hiker on the other side of the lake who was taking the boat back to Vuonatjviken. I started from the boat landing at 3 PM and arrived at Saudal at 5:19 PM. On the way to Saudal I saw 2 tents and 2 people at a lake close to the trail. It was very windy and cold above the tree line.

I lost the trail close to Saudal and ended up having to back track. You have to keep left when you see the water and the house. Otherwise you end up at the yard. The trail was poorly marked through the forest. The man with the boat was already there, waiting for me, so it was only to step right into the boat.

The boat ride across Hornavan was even bumpier than the ride across Riebnes. The boat was smaller and the waves were really high. I arrived in Jäkkvik just before 6 PM. I was lucky and got a ride by the boat driver’s sister to the store in Jäkkvik, we arrived before they closed so I got the chance to buy some provisions. I then got a ride back to the trail where it continued to Adolfström.

July 13, 2005, 10:50 PM, Pieljekaise Cabin (O1546111, N7361725) 5ºC

I arrived here at about 10 PM after a beatiful hike above the tree line. It was windy and chilly, but excellent hiking weather and the vista was just wonderful. In all it has been a good day, and feelsas I have now got into the “flow”.

I am taking the opportunity to wash up all my clothes and dry my boots tonight.

Two of the highlights of this cabin are the large moose antlers on the wall inside the cabin, and the spring with fresh water just outside the cabin. Except for that the location of the cabin in the middle of the birch forest is not that spectacular.

[Hem] [Kvikkjokk-Hemavan] [Fotogalleri 2005] [Abisko-Kvikkjokk] [Fotogalleri] [Sarek2003] [Abisko-Kvikkjokk] [Fotogalleri2002] [Abisko-Nikkaluokta] [Fotogalleri2000] [Länkar] [Gästbok] [Donationer] [Arctic Excursions] [Kvikkjokk-Hemavan] [Day 0] [Day 1] [Day 2] [Day 3] [Day 4] [Day 5] [Day 6] [Day 7] [Day 8] [Day 9] [Photo Gallery 2005] [Abisko - Kvikkjokk] [Photo Gallery 2004] [Sarek2003] [Abisko-Kvikkjokk] [Photo Gallery 2002] [Abisko-Nikkaluokta] [Photo Gallery 2000] [Links] [Guest Book] [Donations]